Agenda for Thursday, October 09, 2014
Joint, Select & Other Committees
Economic Development & International Relations, Legislative Committee* -
10/09/14 9:00 am
Ferry County Fairgrounds - Carousel Building
14 Lawson Way
REVISED on 10/7/2014 at 11:16 AM
Agenda: “The Economic Impact of Company Closures on Rural Communities”:
- Introduction of committee/opening remarks.
- Welcoming remarks.
- Kinross video production - "From Rock to Gold- the Mining and Milling Process."
- Overview on the Chamber's efforts to help the community.
- Overview of operations, safety culture, and closure.
- Supporting business through the regulatory process.
- Legislative efforts to assist displaced timber workers in the 1990s - perspective on how these initiatives may assist workers in Republic.
- Finding strategies to bolster rural communities in times of economic downturn. .
- Overview of the Employment Security Department's response to layoffs in a community.
- Providing public and financial assistance and a mobile response and Protecting children in tough economic times.
- Potential Financial Impacts on School District Funding.
- Perspectives from a local legislator.
- Closing remarks.
Meeting is expected to end at 1:00 p.m.